Thursday, September 9, 2010

Reason #9 Why I Love Germany: German Pharmacy Museum

Some of the raw materials found in the German Pharmacy Museum

The 9th reason that I love Germany is because of the German Pharmacy Museum which I had never heard of before, but that's what I discovered at Heidelberg Castle, where the German Pharmacy Museum is located.  Just what, I wondered, could be in the German Pharmacy Museum?
Entrance to the German Pharmacy Museum
Well, it turns out the German Pharmacy Museum is the world's largest pharmacy museum housing over 20,000 objects ranging from raw materials to storage vessels to first aid kits to pharmaceutical diaries.  I still didn't have high hopes for the German Pharmacy Museum, but was actually rather impressed.  The collection dates back over 2000 years and a quick look at the medical equipment makes you thankful that you didn't live in the middle ages.  Pills were not invented until the mid 19th century so medicine was administered in a variety of pastes and powders from herbs which I'm guessing were not great tasting.  Herbs from far away lands were especially preferred.  Admission to the German Pharmacy Museum is included with your ticket to Heidelberg Castle and it’s worth checking out. 
You may also be interested in the German Emigration Museum, one of the coolest museums I've ever been in!


Take an online tour of the German Pharmacy Museum
Raw materials found in the German Pharmacy Museum photo courtesy of:  German Pharmacy Museum

1 comment:

  1. Really sounds Different!!!!I too had never heard of a Pharmacy Museum before.This Museum explains the History of medicines.A must seen Museum for all the medical students....

    ReplyDelete