Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Reason #17 Why I Love Germany: Museums in Germany

The 17th reason why I love Germany is that while there are no shortage of museums in Germany (Frankfurt alone has around 40 museums) what I really like about the museums in Germany is how quirky and specialized they are.  There is the World's Largest Pig Museum in Stuttgart, the German Emigration Museum in Bremen, Germany's only Ostereimuseum (Easter Egg Museum) in Sonnenbühl, German Pharmacy Museum in Heidelberg, the Hammer Museum in Frankfurt, the Clock Museum in Furtwangen to name just a few. 

Stuttgart is also home to both the Mercedes Benz and Porche museums as well, along with more traditional types of museums.   I love the sole focus of these offbeat museums and learning about things I hadn't given much thought to previously.  Do most people really think about the history of the hammer?

I'm slowly making my way through some of the museums in Germany (last week it was the Eat Art Exhibition at the Kuntsmuseum) but realistically will never get to all of them, but I'm having fun exploring the quirky museums in Germany which is another reason why I love Germany.  If you're into quirky museums be sure to check some of these out.

Above photo is courtesy of the Schwein (Pig) Museum 

4 comments:

  1. You asked what are the strangest museums people have been to. What about the pencil museum in Keswick, Cumbria ? Not the most interesting museum it must be said !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't say I've ever heard of the Pencil Museum, but definitely counts as strange! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Germany has such a rich and varied history that their museums are really wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this comprehensive review of museums in Germany.The front view is really fantastic. Children will definitely love this.

    ReplyDelete