Thursday, October 21, 2010

Reason #19 Why I Love Germany: Ludwigsburg Pumpkin Festival

 The Ludwigsburg Pumpkin Festival is the largest pumpkin festival in the world with over 500,000 pumpkins!  Not only are there a lot of pumpkins, they are big.  The winner of the European Pumpkin Weight Championship came from Germany this year weighing in at 668kg!  You will also find all 450 kinds of pumpkins at the Ludwigsburg Pumpkin Festival - yes you read that right, there are 450 different kinds of pumpkins!

But what I really love about the Ludwigsburg Pumpkin Festival are the whimsical creatures created entirely out of pumpkins such as the octopus and dolphin above. 
No surprisingly, the Ludwigsburg Pumpkin Festival is also a good place to buy pumpkins from all over the world.  I was so excited to see spaghetti squash that I bought 3, along with a pumpkin to make some pumpkin soup with.  Also be sure to try the tasty pumpkin soup and even pumpkin wine that they serve- yum! The Ludwigsburg Pumpkin Festival is definitely on my list of places to check out each year and is another reason why I love Germany.  For more info see 5 Reasons to Visit the World's Largest Pumpkin Festival.
If you love Germany, check out Monkeys, Mountains and Maultaschen.

16 comments:

  1. Pumpkin wine sounds interesting *and* delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those images are great! I love the Octopus! I had no idea there were so many different types!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really lovely Ludwigsburg Pumpkin Festival! I like this dolphin picture. I would love visit this place at once. This is nice pictures. Thanks for sharing wonderful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is nice information about Germany,along with that indulging in German culinary delights is a key element to experience Germany and by trying the local food which varies from region to region you will experience more of Germany.

    ReplyDelete
  5. there is pumpkin festival on german it looks interesting for me, and the images is good too, thanks for the sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yah that pumpkin wine sounds interesting also Seh... Thanks for sharing this awesome info about Germany and it's colorful Feast as well..

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a small world, isn't it. I just read another blog on a big pumpkin festival in Ohio - the pictures were strikingly similar!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I knew germany for the beer festival, now this one! i must go there soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this really looks like an art! Must be amazing to visit this place.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awwww... the famous Ludwigsburg Pumpkin Festival! Been to one years back and I swear, it's truly one of the best festivals I've been to!

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice pictures!I love the octopus picture which made entirely of pumpkins.The Ludwigsburg Pumpkin Festival sounds interesting!Perhaps, one day i can also witness this kind of festival.Thanks for sharing this information.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Isn't it a waste to use food to make attractions ?

    ReplyDelete
  13. very artistic and to think they used pumpkins! Funny thing was that it took me a few minutes to realize the other picture was that of an octopus. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wonder what they will do with all those pumpkins they use in their art? Nice to look at but after, what then? Just curious...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Germany is such a wonderful place to spend your holiday! I'd go back there in a minute :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful pictures, but I don't think that the pumpkin festival is the only thing you should love germany for. :-)

    ReplyDelete